“Twinkle, twinkle, little star, […], like a diamond in the sky”, while the ♠s are soothed to sleep by the lullaby, sentinels in two towers are keeping a keen watch (globiġerina or soft limestone, 12x8x14cm and 10x8x15cm, on polystyrene mounts). During the time of the Knights of St John in Malta (1530-1798), the white tower (built in 1618) on Comino Island served as the communication link with Gozo and its complement in Malta was St Agatha’s, the Red Tower (1649). Viewed together they allude to the republic’s national colours (→centre of 4♠). In former times, Comino’s St Mary Tower (→featured in a stamp background on 4♠) was the Order of St John’s guardian of the Gozo Channel.
(text by Margit Waas)